We are at our very best, and we are happiest, when we are fully engaged in work we enjoy on the journey toward the goal we’ve established for ourselves.
Cue ‘Mission Impossible” music.
Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to embark on a journey of lifelong wellness…
Professionals utilize tools specific to their trade to ensure their success. For example, Ethan Hunt, Tom Cruise’s character in the recent Mission: Impossible series has his motorcycle and his cool weapons, and he is trained to use them to overcome any villain in his path. To prioritize, strategize, and execute successfully. wellness travelers also need skills and tools; that’s why the Wellness Compass Journey was created.
Life is the ultimate adventure, with highs, lows, and plateaus. In terms of wellness, each destination represents a different stage or state of your well-being at a different time in your life. Where you, the traveler journey to, and how long you stay at each peak, plateau, or valley is your choice.
The Wellness Compass Journey provides travelers with a standard process, tools, and guidance to repeatedly accomplish any of your goals, not just wellness goals. It’s is a robust three-step process.
- Step 1. Assessment Phase: In addition to completing Travel Guide activities that facilitate growth in a specific domain or wellness goal (Chapters 2-19) travelers, are encouraged to begin with each journey with holistic snap shop of their overall well-being by completing:
- Step 2. Preparation Phase: To be successful you must invest in planning well. In this phase travelers narrow their goals to only those they can effectively implement with confidence. It begins with drafting plans for each goal (step 2.1), assessing confidence and time considerations (steps 2.1 and 2.2), until the traveler is ready to commit to Final Action Plan (step 2.3) for each goal they desire to pursue over the next three months.
- Step 3. Implementation Phase. To effectively implement, monitor, and reassess progress on their goals over a two-week cycle travelers are encouraged to first integrate key goals and activities into a single one page Checklist (step 3.1). The Checklist serves as a personal two-week contract that outlines day-to-day or weekly activities and track progress. Implementation consists of taking desired actions based on the Checklist and monitoring progress. In a nut shell, it’s the key process by which you effectively develop new habits and stay personally accountable to your goals.
At the end of each two week cycle travelers are encouraged to do a biweekly reassessment of progress and decide whether or not to update their previous, and tweak their checklist activities as they progress. If progress is being made travelers are encouraged to assure they accomplish their goals, particularly when their attempting to lock in new healthy habits, by repeating use of a checklist for a total of six two-week journey cycles (twelve weeks). If progress is not consistent with desired expectations, travelers are guided through an assessment which could include elements of either creating a new plan (particularly if a strategy was not appropriate), revising measures, partial implementation if too much was taken on too fast or unplanned events intervened to challenge implementation, and/or placement to a better time, or when when needed resources are available.
- Directions for Using the Checklist
- Step 3.1 Wellness Checklist (pdf) (Use to track progress for up to 14 days)
- Step 3.1 Wellness Checklist Spreadsheet (Excel)
- Step 3.3 Evaluation of Checklist (Use to assess progress in goal accomplishment)
- Transitional Week: Each quarter, between weeks twelve and thirteen, travelers are encouraged to prepare for a new Journey by investing in a week of rest and reassessment. During this last week, travelers decide to either retain practices (i.e., stay in that wellness destination at a comfortable plateau) or move toward a new destination, thereby pursuing a new goal/travel plan. Typically, the next Journey cycle will commence with The Wellness Compass Profile and a creating a new plan, a variation of the previous Checklist (typically focusing on maintaining or enhancing previous goals), or a decision to not pursue any goals at that time.
Can you adapt the process? It is expected that after a few weeks of implementing their plans with the Wellness checklist that some travelers will transition to monitoring their progress using their preferred task accomplishment process, software ware or phone app. Beware! One of the benefits of the checklist is that it facilitates “at a glance” holistically monitor progress on all your key goals every day, and to comprehensive review every two weeks. If you do adapt the Wellness Compass Journey process or tools don’t drop out the comprehensive review every 2-4 weeks and overall well-being assessment like the Wellness Compass Profile (Step 1.1) as they are critical to maintaining balance and success.
Additional Journey Components to Facilitate Your Success
Chapter 22: Backsliding Prevent and Recover Tips. No one is perfect all the time. This chapter is designed to assist travelers in “nipping backsliding in the bud” by immediately recognizing common challenges and creating “Tune Up Plan” to either overcome expected obstacles or draft a plan to “get back on track.” If you truly are in a relapse, it’s often a good time to either invest in assistance from a supportive friend or a professional who can empower you and help you construct a more effective journey plan.
- Activity 22.1 My Wellness Compass Tune-Up Plan
Chapter 23: Maintaining Your Wellness Lifestyle.
True wellness leads to optimal well-being, consistent clarity, caring and self-control, competence and ongoing commitment to your goals and inner harmony. You will feel terrific not just because you are healthy and happy, but also because you are confident your life matters. The Wellness Compass Travel Guide is designed as a guidebook for a lifelong journey. If you implement consistent implement wellness journeys that effectively enhance your well-being, over two or more years, you can expect that you will be living the wellness lifestyle of maintaining balanced well-being. While most of us, will succeed with a wellness over time, travelers who start with long-term vision of lifelong wellness approach their well-being with a different mind-set. Because of this futuristic conviction their time, resources, and efforts are viewed as investments—deposits that one will harvest annually.
The Wellness Compass Travel Guide is designed as a guidebook for a lifelong journey. The following activities aid travelers in considering a commitment to maintain a high level of well-being across any or all domains for two or more years, even if the Wellness Compass is not utilized.
Chapter 24: Packing for a Lifelong Journey. The Wellness Compass Travel Guide concludes by providing suggestions for successful trip packing. Travelers are encouraged to prioritize and maintain their top 20 wellness essentials as a visionary component of establishing and maintaining their wellness lifestyle.
- Activity 24.1 My Top 20 Wellness Essentials
Related Blog Posts.