Have you ever asked yourself – does my life matter? Am I making a real difference? Why was I born?
Your life purpose – what you do to contribute to the world and and/or financially provide for yourself – is what provides meaning on a daily basis. It’s your personal and professional compass. Looking back with 20-20 hindsight, the courses youʻve pursued towards accomplishing your lifeʻs purpose shows the various ways you’ve contributed to the larger world during your lifetime—how you made a difference. It is your legacy.
YOU and your life do matter. Don’t live with regrets!
Make your life more than how much money you make or have in the bank.
How do you best develop your life’s purpose or create a life purpose statement? I think it depends on your stage in life and your current beliefs. Here’s my top five resources that formed the basis of the “Life Purpose” wellness domain in the Wellness Compass. Thatʻs the component of our well-being that involves using our talents and gifts to contribute and to create our purpose.
- Anyone: Steven Covey: The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People: Restoring the Character Ethic. Also check out this simple Mission statement builder: http://msb.franklincovey.com/
- Under 30. Meg Jay: The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter-And How to Make the Most of Them Now.
- Baby boom era folks: Dan Milliman, The Life You Were Born to Live: A Guide to Finding your Purpose
- Anyone: Ray White, Identify Your Higher Purpose, Download from the Connecting Happiness and Success.
- Warren, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth am I here for? A booklet from The Purpose Driven Life book.
Chapter 14 Overview of Life’s Purpose provides two activities designed to facilitate efficient and effective personal growth within the Life Purpose Domain.
- Activity 14.1 Building Blocks to Accomplish My Life’s Purpose
- Activity 14.2 My Life Purpose Statement
Going deeper. Maximum effectiveness in accomplishing your life purpose requires a high degree of spiritual, socioemotional well-being, physical health and balance. It’s a constant juggling act that requires balanced priorities and inner harmony. We, our well-being, and our world are continually evolving – and none of us is perfect. Wise wellness travelers considering enhancing their effectiveness in the Life Purpose wellness domain are encouraged to first invest in completing a Wellness Compass Profile for an overall assessment of their strengths and weaknesses. Turning one or more weaknesses into strengths will in turn allow you to reach your potential and make sure your life matters.