A variety of spiritual practices are available to help release negativity, raise consciousness, and free tension from your body. They can all be used by anyone, alone or in combination with other practices.
Explore. Find what practices work best for you.
- Breathe deeply. Throughout your day, take a minute to take three deep breaths. Inhale from the bottom of your diaphragm, through your chest, until you can’t take in any more Hold it for at least a second and tell yourself to release. Exhale and repeat at least two more times.
- Appreciate. Stop and smell the roses.
- Be thankful. Appreciation creates a mindset of gratitude, openness and humility. Take a moment and think of three things you are grateful for.
- Add positive music or quiet time to your day. Playing soothing, upbeat music or silence can lift our spirits and help us build positive attitudes.
- Pray. You can use the acronym ACTS to outline a prayer when you don’t know how to get started. ACTS stands for “adoration,” “confession,” “thanksgiving,” and “supplication.”
- Spend time in quiet thought to renew and restore your mind. There are many ways to meditate and many reasons why you should. It’s a simple process you can do at home for free.
- Yoga is a Hindu practice of controlling the mind and body that also enhances inner peace by concurrently breathing deeply while stretching, balancing, or working to maintain a pose.
- Visit a place of devotion. For some, special places of devotion include the scenic outdoors, a mountaintop, the ocean or body of water, a sacred place, or a memorial.
What things do you do quiet and restore your mind and body? Share what works for you so others might see something that resonates for them.